Saturday, January 15, 2011

Exclamation!

Ack.
It's something I say a lot - mostly to myself, but still. Perhaps not all the time, or on a regular basis, but for some reason, that's the phrase that comes out of my mouth. I never realized how weird it was until I muttered the word, and a friend pointed it out to me. "Did you seriously just say 'ack'?" Yes, as a matter of fact I did! Why would I say it though? People don't even type "ack," let alone allow it to emanate from their faces in the course of actual speech. So why do I use it?
Let's say that I just tore the paper I was drawing on in half.
"Ack!"
Let's pretend that I dropped a twelve pound bowling ball on my toe.
"Ack!"
Let's say that I tripped on a banana peel and hit a button on a NASA console that automatically engaged some sort of thrusters on all of the satellites orbiting our planet, and now there is a deadly swarm of space debris heading towards Earth at incalculable speeds, covered in fiery blazes, threatening to destroy a major city and bring the world to its knees, causing all of humanity to spiral back into the Dark Ages.
"Ack!"
Let's say that the republican presidential candidate wants to speak to me.
"Noooooooo! Ahem. Ack."
Really, it's a very multipurpose word. Ack. It can be used in such a vast array of situations, the possibilities are endless! Minor frustration (such as the NASA situation) or major terror and consuming fear (such as the republican situation) alike can be connoted with the use of that single syllable.
Try it right now. What makes you angry? Focus on that, whatever it may be. And then say it. Now. "Ack."
Say it again. "Ack."
Louder, you! Say it louder! Scream your frustration at the desk! Pound your fists! "ACKKCCKCK!"
Say it again!
Again!
Again!
Ack!
Woo!
Isn't this fun?
Ack.

No comments:

Post a Comment